Tuesday 28 June 2011

a little LA and flying to NY literally

Well.. yesterday was quite a day !!

I went to bed at 2am and then was up at 6 am to get started with work.

I jumped in my awesome Mustang at 9 am and rushed to my first meeting with Velvet artists. I of course stopped off at Starbucks first to pick up her favourite drink which was a very particular coffee order. A small decaf coffee with non fat milk , i would have never guessed because where i come from a Latte is all you really order.  People are a bit boring in Dubai!  Marieanne explained that she use to drink tons of black tea and use to wake up with so much anxiety and now with decaf she is super relaxed,

Marieanne ended up being french so she was very interested in all my french trips etc . She explained that her agency is more adevertising and was worried she would be able to get the right clients for me because im more fashion and portraits. She gave me some good constructive critisism on my portfolio which i love, i actually ask for it. Because being raised in South Africa and Dubai, we have never really laid out books and had help with it. She pointed out the smallest thing about my picture sizes, borders and transitions which really helped a lot. My portfolio si the first printed portfolio i have had in 6 years.

Although i was told you defnitely can not present your portfolio on a IPAD, it is actually perfectly normal to do so and classified as professional. When i went to Blur Photo yesterday which is an amazing agent run by 2 amazing people Michael and Clio and there wingman Glen they explained that they very rarely see printed portfolios, because everything is online.  It makes sense and for my next presentation i will be in New York and will do it on my IPAD. Also printing costs are ridiculous, I got my prints done at Hot Cold prints in Dubai and i paid 100 DHS per A3 print ( although the price is going up now) but in LA for an 10 x 15 inch normal print at Rays Photo's its gonna cost me 25 dollars and for every 3 prints another 25 dollars if i want it on the same day ! So 10 prints would have cost me around 330 $ . to much !

Anyway back to Blur Photo, they are located in Beverly Hills,  and while driving up to there spot I saw the HOLLYWOOD sign on the mountain! its really awesome! 

I chatted to the crew for about 2 hours , I love the agency but i just need to decide it im going to LA or New York . we''ll see ! I Randomly stopped at a petrol station on La Brea boulavard and after filling up my own car ( this is the first time i have done this and i feel rather cool filling up my car with Gas ! ) I looked across the road and saw some awesome portrait illustrations on a wall ! O yeah it was Kat Von D with the high Voltage team! I was at LA INk ! I love the show and love tattoos.




I ran inside and say Kat von D at the back of the store ! wow what a moment! I also saw another TV show guy but cant remember his name. If you dont know what LA INK is watch the link below!


While browsing i came across a signed Kat Von D book on her career ! of course i bought it !
Then i went into her gallery Wonderland where she exhibits but also sells some awesome books, shoes and stuff ! All KVD style!




I really wanted to buy the David Lachapelle book " Heaven to Hell " but it was way to heavy to take back to Dubai !!

  After the visit i heading home and fell a sleep. Then woke up at 2 am to start packing for New York !
I have 4 agents to see in New York ! After a lot of work managed to get meetings with them and im there to fucking impress and make sure they understand excatly what i plan to do !

This will be recorded as my first Aeroplane blog because i bought a little WIFI package and have internet on the plane ! That makes time go fast !!!



2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about filling up your car with petrol. south Africans are so spoilt. When I had to do it the first time in France I didn't know how the pump worked and had to get the old lady who worked in the shop to come and help me. She must have thought that I was an imbecile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay on seeing Kat Von D & yay for finally spotting the Hollywood sign!!


    Blog more & more, following your day has made office time much more interesting! x

    ReplyDelete