Sunday 18 April 2010

Not just another day

There is nothing more talked about than " The Weather in Dubai.

Today i woke up with the sound of thunder and rain. Actually at 5am this morning I woke
up with a call from my Fiancee telling me "ITS RAINING " . He is shooting a TV commercial
by the autodrome for a Cyprenese Bank. So he's been awake since 4am. Then at 6 am I got a call from my brother telling me " ITS RAINING " .  Rain in Dubai is a very very rare occurance. If usually only lasts for 2 -  hours if we lucky. When it rains in Dubai people turn off there music to listen to the rain, we rush to our local petrol station to pick up a latte, we stare out the window inquisitive to see the droplets hitting the puddles on the floor.  This Winter it rained about 5 times , and each time it rained cats and dogs.

Dubai is clearly not set up for rain , in terms of drainage and experience etc The last time we had hectic rains , i was at my computer retouching when i felt water by my toes. Within 2 mins my entire apartment was flooded ! i was running around like a mad woman outside my apartment expecting my computers to blow up like in the movies . Lucky nothing as dramatic as that, except that my big teddy bear absorb all the water and has never been the same . Driving in Dubai during the rain is also a big no no.
I recall the radio informing us that there had been 400 accidents in Dubai from 6 am to 8 am due to the rain. Alot of people dont even know where there windscreen wipers are .

Then again in Summer . Without a doubt the first thing anybody will say to you when you meet
them is " wow its fucking hot today " . These weather conversations have even become pickup lines for men. Yeah go ask the blonde girl with the big boobs what the temperature is today. Its become a bit cheesy but it does work , cause i love talking about the weather, and so does everybody else during summer

Summer .... what does that mean ? here are a few words to describe Summer  in Dubai
Swamp ass, melted cheese, hard to breath , no going outside, free sauna, Constant smell of other peoples sweat and sea water becomes thick soup water.  Yip Dubai sucks in the summer, thank god it only lasts for 4 months !

Lucky me , Im actually out of Dubai for the entire summer from June until 1st November.

1 comment:

  1. Dubai definitely seems to have a problem with storm water. Surprising, as it's a new city. City planners didn't think ahead. The old saying, "do it right the first time" comes to mind

    ReplyDelete